Friday, May 30, 2008

A Surprising Revelation

By growing up in Utah there are several things that become learned behavior. One of those is becoming a Utah Jazz fan and another is a great dislike for the Chicago Bulls (it hurts too much to remember those horrific losses in the NBA Finals - not to mention that memorable "push-off" by MJ). Since MJ has left the game, and the Bulls aren't really threat anymore, my dislike turned to another foe: the LA Lakers. I'm pretty sure that Kobe Bryant has had a lot to do with my general dislike and the intense rivalry I feel between the teams. After viewing the excruciating loss to the Lakers in the second round of the playoffs this year, I came to a realization: I like the LA Lakers. That blew me away! That is on my list of things never to do (right behind "never lick a spinning tire" and right before "play patty-cake with a grizzly bear"). I guess it has to do with the fact that Derek Fisher is back with the Lakers. I was always nervous whenever the Jazz played against Derek Fisher's team because they were playing against Derek Fisher. I have to admit (and you should to), that guy is good! It was so exciting last season when he was playing with the Jazz. But alas, all good things must come to an end. So the Jazz lost.

Then, I was looking forward to the Spurs-Lakers series. I have always loved watching Tim Duncan play -- except when he played against the Jazz :). Anyway, after watching the game last night (Game 5), I have to admit once again, the Lakers just flat outplayed the Spurs in the second half.

So I regret to inform you that I think I am becoming a Lakers fan, at least until next season when the Jazz play the Lakers ;)

3 comments:

Justin said...

Well Cory, I agree with your post (especially the Bulls part), except the part about becoming a Lakers fan. I'm not. Yeah, Kobe's probably the best player in the NBA right now but he's a cocky son of a gun, not to mention his off the court antics in the past. And Phil Jackson...in my opinion (which probably isn't worth much) I'm not sure he's that great of a coach. He's just coached teams with great players. Who has been on his championship teams? MJ and Pippen, Shaq and Kobe. Anyway, I am a Derek Fisher fan. He is good. I'm pretty disappointed that Jazz fans would boo him for leaving; he was just doing what was best for his daughter. Lucky for him he ended up with a good team. Anyway, there's my two cents...

Cory said...

That is sad that we Utah fans (characterized as some of the best in the league) would boo Fisher. We did the same with Karl Malone when he came back playing for the Lakers. (when I say "we" I mean the fans that actually spend money to go to the games and watch them in person). I just thought that we could show a little more class than that.

Anonymous said...

You jogged my memory of my younger years of watching the NBA legends. The best offensive guard in my opinion was Jerry West who played for the Lakers (That dates me)and it seemed the only defensive guard who could shut down Jerry West was a tough defender who played for the Chicago Bulls named Jerry Sloan! Who was Chicago's coach who taught Jerry Sloan? A Utahn and former Weber State College coach named Dick Motta!!