Monday, July 28, 2008

Google vs. Cuil



I just read this article in the New York Times about a new start-up company, Cuil (pronounced "cool"), that is trying to give Google (and the other search engines) a run for their money. I say, "more power to 'em." If they can do it, I'll be impressed.



One thing I've noticed in my limited studying of product competition is that once a product has "cornered the market," so to speak, on the product, it has little chance of ever moving from that top-tiered spot.



Let me illustrate. What do you ask for when you blow your nose? A tissue or a Kleenex? The latter is the brand name owned by Kimberly Clark (and consequently one of the products that saved that company from an untimely demise).













Another example: What do you use when you want to write a note and stick it to your computer? A sticky note or a Post-it note? Obviously, the latter was designed and named by the company 3M, who is doing incredibly well in the marketplace.






Final example: When you want to search for something on the internet. Do you type the search query into a search engine? Or do you "Google" it? It will be a crazy day for cornered products when I hear someone say (or say it myself) "Why don't you just 'Cuil' it? But you don't have to take my word for it, check out the website yourself.

2 comments:

tysqui said...

Congrats on your new calling. You'll do a fantastic job.I'll have to check cuil out in a bit. Their site appears to be down right now...

Cory said...

Wow. Word travels fast. I guess it's that secret underground gossip line, eh?