Friday, January 9, 2009

For the first time, I love the AP Poll

I just had to take a break from my studying to post about the #1 NCAA Football Team in the Country...

The Utah Utes!!!

Even though they didn't get a shot at the National Championship, even though they "only" ended up in the Sugar Bowl --where they blew The Crimson Tide out of the water (at least during the first quarter and most of the second half), and even though they "only" came up #2 in the AP Poll, in my book, they should be No. 1!!!

I realize that Florida actually won the National Championship and it's obvious why they ended as ranked #1; BUT, the blue-collar football team from Salt Lake City, UT jumped the Trojans AND the Longhorns to snatch away the #2 spot. They deserve everything they earned (AllState Sugar Bowl Champions, MWC Champions, a convincing win over the 25th ranked Cougars, and BCS-bustin' fame) and MORE!!!

I don't think that the BCS will change it's mind anytime soon about allowing automatic bids to BCS bowl games for non-BCS conference teams. But I do think that as the MWC and the WAC continue to win their high-profile games, in a few years, it might become a reality.

On another note: I did feel bad about the lot Texas got this year (though I don't think they would have done any better against Florida). They had an amazing season and I'm glad they were able to pull off the win against the Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl. I cheered almost as hard for Quan Cosby at the end of the Fiesta Bowl as I did for the Utes in the Sugar Bowl (not as much, but almost). NEVERTHELESS, I don't feel bad that they ended behind the Utes. I do feel bad that they ended behind the USC Trojans. Sure, USC beat Penn State, but the way Penn State was playing last week, anybody could have beat them -- even BYU ;) Also, I'll admit that the Fiesta Bowl was close and the Buckeyes almost pulled off an upset, but at least the Longhorns had their only loss come from a top-ten ranked opponent, whereas the Trojans lost to the unranked Beavers from Oregon State (though I give props to the Beavers, they earned that win vs. USC). Colt McCoy and the Longhorns should have ended up as #3 and the Trojans as #4. But what can I do.

All I can do is cheer for the #2 Utah Utes Football Team!!!! They earned it!!

1 comment:

tysqui said...

This is going to be an enjoyable off-season because I'm going to revel in the Utes' wins and ranking for the next 9 months...

Go Utes!