Wednesday, April 1, 2009

NCAA Bracketology

I thought it might be fun to engage in some bracketology for this year's March Madness. So I filled out an online bracket with some friends in my ward and I am currently tied for last place. Granted, there are only 9 people participating (one of which is a woman and she is leading), but still being tied for last place is a big deal.

It has been interesting to see my approach to bracketology pan out over the course of March Madness. I started out with Mississippi State making it to the West Regional Final and winning against Missouri (which means they would have had to have beaten UConn in the SemiFinal). Unfortunately, Mississippi State didn't even make it past the First Round. The same thing happened with Florida State in the East Region. I had them beating everybody up until Duke in the Regional Final. Florida State lost to Wisconsin the First Round.

What is it about underdogs that got me excited during this March Madness season? In spite of the many disappointing underdog stories, there are the few that kept my hopes alive:

Villanova.

Need I say more?

Even though Villanova is a 3 seed, they were underdogs to both Duke and Pittsburgh and came out victorious on both occasions.

I need Villanova to make up for the devastating loss of Louisville in the Elite Eight. Of course, they're going up against UNC so while I am hoping, I am also realistic. I know that Villanova is going to put up a fight to the end, regardless of the outcome.

Oh well, maybe next year's bracket will be more successful. Though, with my passion for the underdog, who knows. :)

No comments: