Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is it just me, or...

I often wondered about the generational differences between me and my father and my grandfather. Not necessarily personal differences, but the differences of a generation. My grandfather worked at the same job for his entire career. I'm sure that's true of most of your grandparents. He worked for Hill Air Force Base as an electrical engineer. My father is currently on his second career, but both of those are in the same field. He worked construction since he returned from his mission until I was about 9 or 10. I grew up on a construction site (it was dangerously fun). Now he works for the LDS Church as a project manager where he oversees the construction, demolition, and remodeling of church facilities (mainly meetinghouses and CES buildings). I'm pretty sure that he'll work in this job as long as they'll let him before he's forced to retire.

As for me, my resume more than doubles that of my father and grandfather combined. I've worked in a restaurant in various positions (though not something I want to do for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind owning a restaurant); in construction (mostly commercial, but I would love to have worked residential); telemarketing (about as long as it took me to get through the probationary period - 2 weeks); teaching (I taught LDS seminary for 1 year and enjoyed it very much, but came to realize that I couldn't do that for 40 years); temporary staffing (I learned a lot in the business world, but wouldn't/couldn't make a career in sales); social services (this is what my graduate education includes). There's peak into my resume.

I guess my pondering comes from the fact that even though I enjoyed all of these jobs (except telemarketing), it would be hard for me to do any one of them for 40 years and retire with the same company I began my career with (like my grandfather or father). Is it just me that has this divested interest in occupational pursuits? Or is it the byproduct of a generational shift to a more impatient, want-it-now ideology of Generation X? Will I ever find that magical job that excites me so much that I want to work there for 40+ years? 3 years of graduate school and you'd think I'd know the answer to that question. So much for a formalized education ;o)

2 comments:

tysqui said...

Interesting post Cory. I think it's probably a generational thing. Both my dad and grandpa worked at HAFB for more than 30 years and both are the recipients of incredible retirement packages (although my dad won't retire for a few more years).

I can see myself working at my current job for the rest of my life. I love what I'm doing and I don't think there will ever be a time that I will stop learning in this job. It's the first job (out of the 10 I've had) that I can say that about though. Time will tell whether or not that's true, of course.

Shiree said...

I think it also has to do with the economy and the general fast pace of life. Some jobs just phase themselves out more quickly than they used to.

You will find your job, honey!!!