Saturday, September 27, 2008

The First Presidential Debate

Well, McCain showed up; at least, he showed up about 40 minutes into the debate. The first portion of the debate, it seemed that McCain was a little off on his responses and not very confident in his ability to articulate his ideas to the American public. Perhaps it was nerves, or perhaps it was just the fact that he doesn't have a clue when it comes to the economy. Admittedly, McCain got much better when the topic turned to foreign relations and the war in Iraq.

Obama, was generally more calm and collected and rebutted almost every accusation laid against him. However, in talking about Iraq and Afghanistan, it seemed that he was backpeddling a little bit. Maybe that was just McCain's repeated attacks about Obama's opposition to the surge, but after that portion, McCain kept bringing that point back up so Obama had to, repeatedly, respond. The more he responded, the more he got twisted up in his words. (Bytheway, the same thing happened between McCain and Romney during the Primary debate in CA). But if that was a low point for Obama, it was one of the few. Obama really held his own against McCain, particularly on national security issues. Sure he cited Biden's expertise in foreign relations, but not as much as McCain cited Palin's ability to lead.

So who won? I think the answer is... who cares? The only people who care about who "won" the debate are political analysts and each of the campaigns (oh yeah, and anyone who's taken a debate class). But for the average American, I don't think we really care who won or who lost. We got a chance to see our preferred candidate take on the other one and defend his position and offer suggestions on how to succeed in foreign affairs. Americans also got a chance to hear from their non-preferred candidate and listen to them discuss which approach to America's problem is better. I think the group that had the hardest time last night was the fence-sitting non-committal voter (like myself) who is still trying to decide who to vote for. Both sides had their moments in the sun and at times, did a great job illustrating their platforms, which are quite different. Yet, at the same time, I think the weaknesses in each campaign were brought to light (not to mention exploited by their opponent). But it was good to get to know better, through contrast, the philosophies of each candidate. I'm looking forward to the next debate so I can learn more from the candidates. I want to be able to go in with confidence to that voting booth in 38 days knowing that the man for whom I vote will be able to lead this country, and that requires making a decision. (Of course, when I make a decision, I'll blog about it so you can argue with me about my decision.)

2 comments:

tysqui said...

I agree with your analysis 100%. I've never understood why we had to decide who had "won" the debate. It's far more important that the candidates worry about making their position clear.

Both Alison and I are undecided about who to vote for and you were right in saying that this debate did nothing to convince us either way. I think it will hit closer to home in the debates that focus more on domestic issues.

Shiree said...

I only wish I could have heard it. There was a rather rambunctious 2 year old that took up most of my time and attention..... Go, Obama!!!!