Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Friends and Followers: A few Technological Idiosyncracies

So my wife signed up for Facebook a few weeks ago. Since then she has made so many "friends." It's amazing that once you put your internet profile out on the world wide web everybody wants to be your "friend." What is most fascinating is that even though Shiree can broadcast to the world on Facebook that she is "married," she can't explain who she is married to unless I sign up on Facebook. I refuse to do so more on principle than anything. It's just funny that in order to explain who you truly are, you must go through a predetermined system that really isn't "one size fits all."

The other fun thing that I've found on blogger is that now I can have "followers." It's always been interesting to see why people "follow" something (religion, actors, sports teams, etc). I guess the same rules apply to "following" a blog. My guess is that it's more of a visible form of blog stalking. However, I'm new to the whole blogging scene, so correct if I'm wrong.

4 comments:

Justin said...

I'm with you Cory; I refuse to do the "My-Face" thing. Partly because I figure I have my social network, but also because it really annoys me that you can't view other people's Facebook stuff unless you sign up. I'm not opposed to looking, and I've had a few friends send me links, but I don't want to have to sign up! Let me view without giving out all my personal info for crying out loud!

Shiree said...

Well, it's good to have to sign up because then not everyone can read everything about me. Just those that I choose....

I didn't know how much you hated Facebook, Cory. I guess none of my "friends" will ever know who my handsome husband is....

alisquire said...

I'm anti-Facebook too. Tyler's a member, but I already keep in touch with anyone I really care about.

Anonymous said...

I am here to defend facebook :) I only signed up because I have friends who are in other countries and it is great to be able to be connected to them and be able to see their photos with the simple click of a mouse. Also, you don't have to publish all your information. The only information that is published is what you put out there and you can block it so only your "friends" can see it. I would just like to comment that Shiree is my "friend" and we were friends before facebook came about...and I've seen her "handsome husband" (as she put it).