Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you on 9/11?

I had remembered all week that September 11th was a Thursday this year. But when I woke up this morning, I hadn't realized it was September 11th until I checked my work email and got an email letter sent by the White House asking all citizens to remember that fateful morning 7 years ago. The letter also said that there would be a moment of silence held that morning at 8:47am eastern. Since I missed it, I had my own moment right there in my office.

I remembered exactly where I was standing when I heard the news and how I had watched the towers fall a little while later. I was on my mission in Chile. We were told to stay inside for the rest of the day and one of the missionaries who lived in our apartment got a phone call from the Mission President telling him that his family (who lived in Pennsylvania) had called and they were okay. I can still remember those feelings I had. Being a missionary I didn't realize the gravity of the situation until I returned home in 2002.

Now it's 2008 and I realized something else during my moment of silence. That my two children weren't alive when that happened. They don't know what life was like before 9/11. I then realized it is my responsibility to teach them about patriotism and honor and American History. It's my responsibility to teach them about true heroism and courage. We are a nation like no other in the history of the world. I once heard a four star general from the United States Military explain that America's chief export is freedom and democracy. I am proud to live in a country where we defend our freedom "in memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives [and our husbands], and our children" and I can't wait to teach my children that.

God Bless America!

1 comment:

Shiree said...

I was on the shuttle, heading to USU. It was a weird day.