Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tribute to an Apostle


A great man has graduated from this life and entered the eternal realm. I don't know why the passing of Elder Joseph Bitner Wirthlin has affected me more than the passing of President Hinckley or President Faust. I guess that I have come to love Elder Wirthlin even more recently. I always had a hard time paying attention when Elder Wirthlin spoke in General Conference because he was never as eloquent as Elder Neal Maxwell or a great story teller like President Monson or as charismatic as Elder Jeffrey Holland. But every time I would read his talks in the Ensign when it came out after Conference, I was blown away at how powerful they were. Though, in my opinion, he was not a great public speaker, his talks always made me think and ponder about my own testimony. One of the first talks I remember by him was one about testimony where he stated that a testimony is "knowledge buttressed by divine personal confirmation by the Holy Ghost." Of course, everyone will remember forever his final General Conference address, "Come What May, and Love It." I think it important to remember that he lived what he taught and he provided an example for us to follow.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for living a Christlike Life that I can emulate!!

1 comment:

Shiree said...

I'll never forget the story about his daughter trying to go on a date with the guy who just wanted a babysitter. I'll also never forget the story about laughing when you're lost, or laughing when you hit your head on a cupboard. I have a lot to work on...